For 31 year old, Jennifer Holmes it was becoming increasingly difficult to deal with unsolicited comments on her growing weight. With absolute hard work and determination, she changed her lifestyle. She Followed a very popular type of diet these days called the ‘KETO DIET’.
What is this keto diet?
Ketogenic is a term for a low-carb diet . To get more calories from protein and fat and less from carbohydrates. You cut back most on the carbs that are easy to digest.
When you eat less than 50 grams of carbs per day, your body runs of fuel to supply energy. Blood glucose is something body can use quickly. Body starts to use fats and proteins for energy, which will make you lose weight. This is ketosis.
People use a ketogenic diet most often to lose weight, but it can help manage certain medical conditions, like epilepsy, too. It also may help people with heart disease, certain brain diseases even acne.
People with diabetes type 1 should ask a doctor for advice before following these kind of diets.
You can lose weight in the first 3-6 months by following this kind of diet. This is because it takes more calories to turn fat into energy than to turn carbs.
What Foods you can eat in this diet?
- Vegetables-cabbage,cauliflower,spinach,lettuce,onions,tomatoes,cucumber,bell peppers,green beans,mushrooms….
- Nuts and seeds-Almonds, walnuts, peanuts, chia seeds, coconut…..
- Meat and poultry- Ground beef, bacon,streak,chicken breast,turkey breast,egg,pork….
- Fruits- Avacado, olives, strawberries,raspberries
- Dairy-yoghurt,butter, heavy creams, mayonnaise
- Healthy oils- coconut oil,olive oil
Foods to avoid
No sugar and sweets
High carb foods
Different types of keto diets
- Standard ketogenic diet :This is a very low-carb, moderate-protein and high-fat diet.
- Cyclical ketogenic diet: This diet involves periods of higher-carb days such as 5 ketogenic days followed by 2 high-carb days.
- Targeted ketogenic diet : This diet allows you to add carbs around workouts.
- High-protein ketogenic diet: This is similar to a standard ketogenic diet, but includes more protein.
Other benefits of going keto
- Heart disease: The ketogenic diet can improve risk factors like fat, HDL cholesterol levels, blood pressure and blood sugar.
- Cancer: The diet is currently being used to treat several types of cancer and slow tumor growth.
- Alzheimer’s disease: This diet may reduce symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and slow down its symptoms.
- Epilepsy: Research has shown that the ketogenic diet can reduce the seizures.
- Parkinson’s disease: One study found that the diet helped improve symptoms of Parkinson’s disease
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: The ketogenic diet can help reduce insulin levels, which may play a key role in polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Acne: Lower insulin levels and eating less sugar or processed foods may help reduce acne.
6 months later Jennifer Holmes could fit into the clothes of her choice and felt healthy more than ever.Her story is an inspiration that no matter where you are or what you are doing, anything is possible if you set your mind to it.